Spanish airline Iberia and the Education, Youth and Sport Bureau of the Madrid Regional Government are developing a two-year vocational training degree specialising in the maintenance of aircraft and aircraft engines. The Advanced Vocational Training degree in Aeromechanical Maintenance will be taught at two Vocational Training Secondary Schools in Madrid and at Iberia’s maintenance facilities, also located in the Spanish capital.

The degree will begin in October this year, enrolling up to 50 students each year (25 per school). During the first year, classes will be held in the schools, and in the second year the training will be chiefly held at Iberia’s maintenance facilities in La Muñoza, near Madrid airport.

40% of the training will be delivered in the classroom, with the remaining 60% of lessons provided in a workshop format. In the second and third years, the students will be awarded a grant.

Students who earn the qualification of Advanced Technician will have the opportunity to complete their practical training in Iberia’s aircraft maintenance workshops during a third year, at which time they will also be able to sit European Air Safety Agency Category B examinations.

Successful examinees will be qualified for employment as aircraft maintenance technicians in all European Union member states and throughout the European Economic Space.

Iberia’s Chief Technical Officer, André Wall, commented, “We offer technical and practical training backed by Iberia’s 90 years of history as an airline and as a provider of aircraft maintenance services to third-party customers. Our participation in this programme with the Madrid Regional Government’s Education, Youth and Sport Bureau is an indication of our commitment to society and to supporting talented youth, who will be tomorrow’s technicians.”