The 2018 Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) announced this year’s winners of the annual serious games competition at an awards ceremony at the conclusion of the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC). Twenty-three finalists, chosen from the original entries submitted in late summer, competed for awards in several categories, including the newest category, Best XR game.
The winners are:
- Best Government Game Award: Difficult Airway Algorithm and Rescue Cricothyrotomy (DAARC) by the Veterans Health Administration Employee Education System-eLearning
- Best Student-Developed Game Award: Tablecraft by the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy (FIEA) at the University of Central Florida
- Best Business-Developed Game Award: HoloLAB Champions by Schell Games
- People’s Choice: Gloob Rescue by Design Interactive
- Best XR Game: HoloLAB Champions by Schell Games
- Students’ Choice Award: Code of Aegis by the University of Houston Clear Lake & Tietronix Software
- SGS&C Innovation Award: Dental Madness by Full Sail University
SGS&C Director, Jennifer McNamara, said, “I was highly impressed with the diversity and breadth of subjects addressed by the serious game finalists in our biggest showcase yet. The XR games presented in our first XR award competition truly highlighted novel applications of the design approaches and technologies for providing learning experiences.”
Sponsors for this year’s SGS&C are: Techwise, Bohemia Interactive Simulations, Epic Games, Applied Research Associates Inc., Engineering & Computer Simulations (ECS), Trideum Corporation, Virginia Serious Game Institute – VSGI, Full Sail University, NVIDIA, HP, and Box.
All the finalist games from each year can be viewed on the Serious Games Showcase & Challenge website.