Twenty-five is this year’s magic number. That’s the number of finalists chosen as part of the 2019 Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C). These finalists now have the opportunity to be showcased as part of this year’s STEM Pavilion at the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference (I/ITSEC) in Orlando, Florida, from December 2-5 in Booth 2880, allowing attendees to learn about and play the games.
“Our leadership team really enjoyed getting to play all of this year’s submitted games, but felt like these really stood out,” said Kishan Shetty, SGS&C Team Industry Lead. “I know that everyone attending I/ITSEC will enjoy having the chance to play these games too, and it’s a great opportunity for our developers to share their talents and be recognized for their hard work.”
The finalist games range in topic areas including health and wellness, leadership, cyber, and anatomy. The games are:
Business / non-profit category finalists:
- Community Health Nursing by BreakAway Games
- Drone Fisher by Soar Technology
- Earth-to-Mars: A VR Serious Game for Leadership by eLearning Studios
- Fire VR by Simsoft Technologies
- Functions of the Machine by K20 Center at the University of Oklahoma
- Get A Life by K20 Center at the University of Oklahoma
- Invite Only VR by play4REAL Lab at the Yale Center for Health and Learning Games
- Liquid Marx VR by University Applied Science Trier
- myDRIVESCHOOL by Driveschool Enterprises Pty Ltd and GOATi Entertainment
- Project Azriel Bulletproof Brain Training by Curriculaworks
- PTSD SleepAid by Intelligent Automation, Inc. and University of Central Florida
- SkydiVR by Freefall Club LLC
- Swibo Tilt by Swibo Ltd
- VestAid Game Suite by Intelligent Automation, Inc.
- x-Hacker by Trideum
Student category finalists:
- Nano Technology Lab Process by Utah Valley University
- Reverse Engineer by Orange Technical College
- SIGNAL – Strategic Interaction Game between Nuclear Armed Lands by UC Berkley and the Project on Nuclear Gaming
- Vector Unknown by Arizona State University, Clayton State University, and Florida State University
- When Rivers Were Trails by Michigan State University and the Indian Land Tenure Foundation
Government category finalists:
- Chain of Command: Capture the Sea by Naval Information Warfare Command PMW-120
- Contagion by Naval Postgraduate School Department of Defense Analysis and Global ECCO
- NATO Children of Armed Conflict by NATO Allied Command Transformation (ACT)
- Talon by U.S. Army PEO Aviation Utility Helicopter Project Office UH60
- U.S. Army STARS Anatomy by Army Game Studio
The sponsors that support the Serious Games Showcase & Challenge are: Bohemia Interactive, Team Speak, Integration Innovation, Inc. (i3), ARA Virtual Heroes Division, Engineering & Computer Simulation, Trideum Corporation, NTSA, HP, Box, and Janus Research.
The SGS&C awards ceremony is Thursday, December 5 at the Innovation Showcase Booth, 2588. All are welcome to attend the presentation of the awards by the SGS&C committee for the Best Business, Student, and Government Game; the Best XR (VR/AR/MR) Game; Innovation; and Students’ Choice (determined by students at participating schools). The final award is the coveted People’s Choice Award, determined by I/ITSEC attendee votes. I/ITSEC attendees can play the games live in Booth 2880 and cast their votes for the People's Choice Award through the end of Wednesday, December 4.