Rheinmetall AG has agreed to set up a new joint venture with DERMALOG Identification Systems GmbH, Germany’s largest biometrics firm. The new company, Rheinmetall Dermalog SensorTec GmbH, should begin operating in early summer 2022, providing approval by the merger control authorities. Rheinmetall will hold a 65% stake in the partnership, with DERMALOG accounting for the remaining 35% share. 

The strategic objective is to integrate biometric technology, artificial intelligence software, and digitization solutions in three different areas: driver monitoring, security, and industry. For Rheinmetall, the joint venture marks an important step in the transformation to digitization technology and expanding into driver monitoring solutions.

Furthermore, the new joint venture enhances the Düsseldorf-based technology group’s future-oriented diversification into biometrics applications geared to the security sector and industry. The move also adds to its existing digitization and software expertise. Importantly, the partnership reinforces Rheinmetall’s capabilities in five strategic technology clusters: automation, sensors, digitization, alternative mobility, and artificial intelligence.

“Setting up this joint venture is an important step in our transformation strategy, one which will enable us to offer cutting-edge monitoring, authentication, and security technology to our customers in the automotive sector and other industries”, states René Gansauge, CEO of Rheinmetall’s Sensors and Actuators division.